Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Very Special Photo Shoot

Our local Little League has a Challenger Division for players with physical or developmental disabilities or other special needs and "buddies" who want to teach them about baseball.  They asked me to come take team and individual portraits for the division today, and I agreed.  Here's two of my favorite portraits from the day:
A few action shots I took:
Two pictures that just touched my heart:
And one of the new friend I made today.  She loves having her picture taken and told me that I was the best "camera girl" ever:
I was a little anxious before the shoot because I wanted to do a good job and wanted to make sure I respected everyone's capabilities.  I found a website with some good tips here.  I didn't have time to focus on camera settings, so I put the camera on "sports mode" to avoid a flash and put my focus on connecting with each player and trying to capture his or her spirit. I was lucky to have an overcast day where I didn't have to worry too much about the light.  On the whole, I felt like it was equally successful to the photo shoots I do for the middle school sports teams and think that the families will like the results.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICE JOB, Rinda!!! We forgive you for leaving the house crop early!!! We missed you, but it was clearly for a good cause!

Mariana

Elizabeth said...

Rinda, you have a heart as big as your talent. Nice work!

Amy said...

Gosh, they are all marvellous and I absolutely LOVE the first action shot!

Well done Rinda :-)

scrappyjacky said...

Wonderful shots,Rinda.

debs14 said...

Amazing photos Rinda and it looks like it was a great day for everyone.

Sian said...

What a fantastic job you did. The pride and happiness is just shining out of these kids.

Julie Shoemaker said...

Awesomeness...you were thorough on your research also. The families should be well pleased, as should you.

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful portraits. I know you gave them something they'll treasure for a long time.

humel said...

Rinda, these are fabulous! The kids just shine, and you've captured that perfectly xx

laurie said...

how wonderful that you were able to capture such a fun time and that these athletes will have photos to remember it all by. i really admire you for taking the time to learn more about people with different needs before this event. you do have a big heart!

Tracy Bollinger said...

Good job! The photos turned out great!

nancy y said...

what an excellent job you did on the photos and catching their love of the game and themselves!

Although we missed you - your talents were obviously enjoyed elsewhere!

Capescrapper said...

What a wonderful day for you and those kids are truly lucky to have the BEST CAMERA GIRL ever to take their pics!! What great shots. Very special.

sharyncarlson said...

How wonderful to share your talent, Rinda! Your photos turned out great :)

Becky said...

Excellent job! Your photos are fab! and the kids look as if they are all having such a fun time.

Sonja said...

Wow, so many great photos! You really did a wonderful job capturing the spirit of such a special game. Rinda, you really are the BEST CAMERA GIRL. ;D