Monday, January 23, 2012

Pastel Faces

After taking a small break from the Faces 101 class to deal with my real work (grading 150 exams from the previous term mainly!), I found a little time today to play.  These faces were made by laying down some pastels and then using a kneaded eraser to wipe away the lighter parts of the face, leaving the pastels to define the shadows. It was a fun (if challenging) assignment.  Particularly because I love pastels. I like how this group of faces look together - sort of like a pair of characters (mother and son, up top) and a couple of guy friends hanging out together and enjoying a beer (the two in the bottom row). Or maybe a family (with mom and dad the faces on the right; then two sons, the older on the bottom row and younger one up top).  What do you see in these faces?

4 comments:

Amy said...

I find your art posts really interesting Rinda. I enjoy art but never experiment or give myself the time or permission to try - seeing your posts and all the variety is very enjoyable. I like being encouraged to think about alternatives!

Sian said...

A group of students who share a house, maybe?

GlorV1 said...

It's great Rinda. Love what you have done. Well....I see a mother whose face has just turned green because her son's just will not stop teasing each other. The first little boys face has turned a little pink because he is sorry his mom is so angry, and the second boy at the bottom is thinking, "Hey, my green eyes match my mom's face, tee hee." The last boy has a smile on his face seemingly satisfied with himself. hehehehe. Great work Rinda, loved it! Have a great rest of the week.

scrappyjacky said...

Some more interesting faces,Rinda....the top left definately looks like a much younger face than the others to me.....maybe a kid brother wanting to hang out with his much older siblings.