Monday, March 25, 2013

A Busy Weekend

Come on in, put your feet up and let me tell you about my weekend - it was very busy but very fun!  It started on Friday when I got together with my oldest friend in the world.  No, she's not that old (in fact, she's only six weeks older than me), but I have known her longer than any of my other friends.  We met in 8th grade and became bonded almost immediately.  We have shared all our major life experiences - going through college, getting married, having kids, etc. - together. Even though we haven't seen each other in several years, we picked up right where we left off. We went to a spa and then lunch. It was a terrific morning of friendship and nonstop talking.  I rushed back to town to catch a bit of Henry's baseball game and then set up for the soccer awards banquet.
It was a terrific evening.  Henry received a certificate and star for being named the the All-League First Team and the Team MVP award.  The best part of the evening came when the coach awarded him the Luis Mintegui Award,  a perpetual trophy, which stays at the school with the recipient's name engraved and which is awarded to the student athlete who best represents the values of respect, achievement, excellence, teamwork and leadership.  Coach Victor is a pretty gruff guy, but he got visibly emotional when talking about Henry and how much he would miss having him around.  My heart about exploded with pride!
I got up early Saturday morning, and Clara and I ran ten miles!!! It took us a little less than two hours (she could have finished much faster, but she didn't want to leave me alone). It's the longest I have ever run, and afterwards, my knees hurt.  Luckily, I knew what to do about that:
I applied bags of ice to my knees and a little vodka to my pain receptors!  I felt perfectly fine by the time evening rolled around, and we went to see our friends' kids perform in a local high school musical.  
Sunday was much quieter. I did laundry, started to catch up on blog-reading and commenting and relaxed.  Clara was nursing a cold, and Henry reported in from Dallas, Texas!
His club soccer team was invited to participate in the Dallas Cup, the largest international soccer tournament for youth players in this country.  They start group play tomorrow. The three other teams in the group are from Texas, Mexico and Sweden! The opening ceremonies were held in the Cotton Bowl, and he said it was really cool.
I have a busy work week ahead of me, but it will be a little easier with only having one child to get up and out the door and to attend to, I hope!  Off to read your blogs and see what you've been up to this last weekend and will be doing this week.
******************************************************************
Linking up to Abi's tea posts, check out other chatty posts here.

18 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

Sounds like a busy but very fun weekend indeed. Congrats to Henry for the trophy but to you and Clara for the ten miles too!

Thank you for the card. That was very sweet of you, the address made us all smile :)

helena said...

love your first photo. Sounds a fantastic weekend and such achievements all round

Miriam said...

Congratulations to you all Rinda, love the third picture!
Hope the knees have recovered.

Linda said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend! I too have an 'oldest' friend, so lovely to be able to catch up with her from time to time:) Well done on running 10 miles!! Love the vodka for the pain receptors:) Good luck to Henry:)

Ladkyis said...

Congratulations to Henry and a huge well done to his parents, who have shown him how to be such a fabulous young man.
I am not even thinking about the running - I don't run with scissors (the last two words are superfluous)

Ladkyis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Abi said...

Congratulations on the running and fantastic news about Henry. You must be very proud! Enjoy your break!

Sian said...

Congratulations are due all round I think :)

..and would it be a little weird to also offer my congrats on a pair of delightfully youthful looking feet?!

scrappyjacky said...

I think congratulations are due all round as well....and vodka sounds a great way to ease the pain!!

Karen said...

I got a good chuckle from your cure for sore knees! What a fine honor Henry received! You've every right to be proud.

Jo Murray said...

Congrats to Henry...you must be so proud. Old friends are good friends Rinda.

Lou said...

congratulations to you all. I think i'd have needed more than a vodka after running 10 miles!

Amy said...

I would have needed more than one drink to run that far!

debs14 said...

What an eventful weekend! Great news about Henry, what pride you must have in him. Good luck with the training!

Jen said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Congrats to you and Clara on your 10 miles - and to Henry - no wonder you were proud mama! Rinda - thank you so much for the card - it was a lovely surprise in the morning's mail - and I am very touched - J x

nancy y said...

I'm tired just reading about your weekend! Congrats to Henry - and his parents ;-) And good job Clara and you on your running, great she paced herself to run with you!

alexa said...

Wow, many congratulations to Henry and what a splendid achievement. No wonder you were bursting with pride! How you fitted all that in, is beyond me! Not to mention the running. Yikes! You have my utter admiration :).

Alison said...

Congratulations all round indeed, Rinda.....I do like the vodka cure ;)
Alison xx