Thursday, April 11, 2013

My Photographer's Eye

Vignette #13:  Faded Beauty
I am out back, looking for signs of spring. The intense fuchsia of the new hydrangea blossoms catch my eye. They are fresh and pretty; bright and full of the promise of spring.  But, then, my photographer's eye sees something different. The faded beauty of last season's hydrangeas, not yet pruned from the arbor.
Their faded, crumbling beauty touch me in a deeper way.  They speak not of the promise of spring but of the fullness of a life well lived - one that drained every drop out of life before succumbing to a wintery end. 
********************************************************************************
My Photographer's Eye is a semi-regular series designed to feature my instagram photography and a brief accompanying narrative. You can see the other vignettes in this series by clicking on this link

21 comments:

Amy said...

Hi Rinda - I love the texture of those older hygrangeas, I've taken photos of them in that state too - they're a good flower to shoot actually.

Anonymous said...

Love both of these Rinda but like Amy like the Hydrangea best.

Sandie said...

Beautiful Rinda, and I love your description of the Hydrangea too.

scrappyjacky said...

Love the hydrangeas....I finally cut ours back yesterday.

JO SOWERBY said...

I love hydranges but they are not even in bud over here. It's too dismally cold and wet and dark. Yucky. Nice to see the lovely fuschia shades and also the older blooms. I like the contrast and you have a wonderful photographer's eye,
Jo xxx

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

Great contrast, both in colour and texture.
Fiona x

Cheri said...

The contrast between the two is incredible.

Sian said...

My MIL had a dried bunch of older faded hydrangea on her hallstand for years..I think they fascinated her too

Missus Wookie said...

I like old faded blooms for that reason - a reminder of past beauty with a hint of a promise for new beginnings too.

Carolyn said...

What contrast between the 2 photos! You definitely have a photographer's eye!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Ah ~ beautiful photos and poignant journaling. I love this post, Rinda.

aimee said...

We have a bunch of both in our yard, and your words give new meaning to them! xo

Introverted Art said...

the photos are spectacular...such an amazing transition.

Nathalie said...

I think that I can find these both extremes in my little patio garden as well!

Miriam said...

Another fan of the hydrangea. Mine has faded blooms and new shoots. When it ever stops raining I will need to cut the stems if I am to have beautiful blooms to photograph later.

Elizabeth said...

What a nice contrast of the old blossom and the new one! Our grounds are still too wet to start raking up leaves, but the fallen branches from the last storm really need attention. Perhaps the sun today will dry the grounds and, if there is no more rain tomorrow, I can start my gardening chores.

Karen said...

I have several favorite photos of dried hydrangeas still on the bush. The newspaper warned this week that it is still too early here to cut them back. I'd love to see a few blooming like you have in your yard.

alexa said...

Very poignant, Rinda ... and each with their own depth and beauty.

Melissa said...

What a beautiful juxtaposition in these photos!

Jimjams said...

Beautifully done - photograpghed and written.

Jimjams said...

Fabulous contrast - and shows what beauty there is at both extremes.