Friday, August 2, 2013

PHC: Bringing Order to My Life

A few weeks ago, I went for a walk down in the harbor with my camera.  I found myself drawn more to the little details of the harbor and was particularly fascinated by this coil of rope. I love the knot used to attach it to the cleat (is it a hitch? or a bowline?). I love the texture of the rope and the wooden dock. But mostly I love how orderly the rope looks as it spirals into place - how it curves and nestles into itself.  I love how it manages to look both organic and orderly at the same time.  And, right now, that's what I'm craving in my life. Looking towards the fall and the start of a new school year, I'm craving a routine for our life that works organically - one that falls into place naturally, without being overworked. One that will moor us securely to the dock as we move into the next phase of our lives.
And that's why I've chosen this photograph as my Photo-Heart Connection for July.  PHC is a photography practice created by Kat Sloma, reviewing your images to find the one image that best connects to your heart. You can read more about it here. 
As always, there were a few other contenders this month:
I'm crazy about the color palette at work here and the sharpness of focus, of the rope hanging in mid-air and the mystery that suggests.
Oh, the explosive fun of the 4th of July!
I love the idea of a secret hide away in an old abandoned windmill.
And I love this hint of long summer nights.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love reading your feedback on my photography!

24 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

LOVE the idea of organic and orderly - that describes how I try to create and maintain my life. Thank you for that phrase this morning. :)

sky-blu-pink said...

Great pics! Nature does harmony and symmetry without our help, doesn't it! Think that's we always strive for it.

Giggles said...

I love your perspective with the photos...needing the routine, yet still enjoying the long summer nights! Very nice post!

Hugs Giggles

Amy said...

Okay, technically not a knot ... heee, get it? It does resemble a clove hitch though. This is all according to TE who is a knot-man genius; Cub Scout, Boat Boy! I, on the other hand, just think it looks like a good photo with interesting shape and colour!

Cheri said...

Love the texture of this photo - and that you can even see the little screws in the deck planking. And love that you see organic and order while I see a big question mark (which probably describes what I think life will be like this fall with both of the twins headed off to Bloomsburg!)

Melissa said...

I'm drawn to that orderly coil of rope, too! Yes, a little routine is needed here as well right now, something that flows smoothly.

Sian said...

Something about that top one made me want to curl my head round too and look at it from different angles..that's getting me engaged and I think that's great photography

Barbara said...

I love that coil of rope and especially in a square photo. I also like the fireworks - not always an easy photo to take!

The Mann Fam said...

Your runner up knot hanging from who knows what is very intriguing. The coil of rope and balance is good. I can totally relate to your thoughts on that, but for some reason that hanging knot really grabs me. Maybe because I take on the roles of the fixer, problem solver, the one who holds the household and family together and the only reason I can do that is through the grace of God and He is the one holding on to me. I'm dependent on Him. Thanks for inspiring that thought to start my day through your photography.

Sandie said...

I love the curled rope too Rinda, it takes me back to my sailing days that I miss very much. Beautiful photos, all of them. I want some organisation in my life too. I look forward to seeing more of your photos that touch your heart.

Karen said...

As much as I love that coil of rope, it's your writing that speaks to me today. What a lovely post!

Alison said...

Personally I love the hints of warm summer nights!....it may make me shallow, but having just spent one with friends from the UK , am in the zone !!
Alison xx

alexa said...

Your coil of rope is as eloquent as you are: I too long for that combination of organic and orderly!

Michele at Sweet Leaf said...

Did you know a spiral like this is also a symbol of creativity? I love your persectives, Rinda. Thanks for sharing. -- Michele at Sweet Leaf, visiting from PHC.

Miriam said...

I really love your chosen picture, but then I can't resist taking pictures of rope. This is particularly beautiful though. So neat, orderly, organic, everything I am knot!
...sorry.

seabluelee said...

I love the simple beauty of that neat knot and precise coil of rope. It makes me wonder and wish I knew more about the person who would take the time and care to do that.

Kathryn Dyche said...

I too love the organic order of the rope, love your interpretation of it. Love the second rope image too, I'm drawn to the colors also.

Flora said...

Isn't it amazing what you find to photograph when you're not searching for a particular item?

Lou said...

Another vote for the rope photo! love it!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I loved the photo of the curled rope when I saw it in my reader, Rinda. Really cool find, great composition, and I really love your journaling about it being orderly yet organic.

Prairie Jill said...

Great images!

Unknown said...

I love that image. Beautiful lines and so simple.

Kat Sloma said...

What a gorgeous, orderly photograph! I hear you on the desire for routine and order, I am a creature of routine myself. But I think the thing I take away from the photograph - order does not happen, it is created. Like this rope that was coiled so carefully and intentionally, we have to create the order in our lives. Wonderful Photo-Heart Connection! Thanks for the food for thought this month.

Unknown said...

I like the photo with the hanging rope. The colour combo is amazing and it would make a great layout inspiration photo.