Sunday, October 25, 2015

Some final thoughts on the Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt

Fall has definitely arrived to my coast side neighborhood, judging by the decorations I found on a recent walk. And fall seems like a good time to reflect on this year's Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt . . . 
Every year, there is an item that turns out to be really scary. And I never have any idea which one it will be! This year, it was definitely a flag pole with at least three flags on it. That set up is very common here in the United States - a flag pole will often have the U.S. flag, the flag of the particular state and then the flag of the city or company. Apparently, this is not so common in other countries and people really struggled with it. And there's the ones I think will be hard, but turn out not to be.  This year, it was the overloaded vehicle. That's one that you had to keep your eyes open for and then stumble upon, but most people managed it.
And there's always an item that turns out to be much more fun and way more interesting than I anticipated. This year it was "a public restroom, bathroom or toilet." I found every single one of the entries in this category fascinating. It surprised me a bit that people found it difficult to take a photo of this item. I guess because I often find myself in an empty bathroom. So glad I included it on the list! I also am really glad I included two or more people wearing matching uniforms. Loved the variety that showed up in response to that!
Every year, there are some items which are ubiquitous but varied. This year, for example, there was the traffic signal. I saw boat traffic signals, regular traffic signals and (surprisingly) many of the London traffic light tree. That's something that I never knew existed. And I really like the idea someone suggested that maybe there were several of you there at the same time.  The other item in this category was "someone plugged in to social media." Way too ubiquitous these days (but interesting none the less). 
All-in-all, I really enjoyed the hunt! And I will definitely be hosting it again next year.

18 comments:

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I'm very glad to hear you'll be hosting again on 2016. The 3 flags eluded me, but the overloaded vehicle was easy with my boy off to university! I love that traffic light tree and had no idea it existed either, despite having visited London several times over the years. All in all a great list and I'm sorry my effort was so pitiful this year.

Halle said...

I had a lot of fun with the list this year. Of course I had to make my own three flags on a pole with a lego minifigure but hey...it's all interpretation. I know I could have skipped it since I had all the alternates but how could I let just one go unfilled! :)
So glad to hear that you'll be coming up with a new list for next summer!

Barbara said...

I didn't do so well with the hunt this year, I looked and looked for 3 flags on one pole but never did see one. I learnt about Toilet Twinning when taking my photo of the restroom. It is interesting how things differ in different countries.

Maggie said...

It was indeed great fun again this year and I also enjoyed everyone 's interpretation. I am looking forward to next year's but in the meantime I am anticipating joining in Eileen's winter scavenger hunt at in my playroom. Have a look and join in the fun!

Maggie said...

Oh and forgot to say. Thanks Rinda!

Sandie said...

I had great fun with this years challenge Rinda and struggled with some but managed them all, in record time too. Thank you for arranging this and coming up with great clues. Great Halloween photos by the way!

Karen said...

Loved it as always, and was interested this year that several family members who live out of town asked about this year's list. They remembered items from several years ago when I was with them and working on it.
Although the three flags may be common in the US, I found that the most difficult, and was excited to finally capture it at the end of the hunt. My favorite on the list? Two people in a uniform; it afforded me an opportunity to talk to some very interesting folks I would have never approached if not for the scavenger hunt. Already looking forward to next year, and many thanks for years of summer fun!

scrappyjacky said...

Hoping I can take part properly next year.I enjoyed looking at everybody else's finds though.

Sian said...

Those halloween decorations are amazing! We don't have anything like that round here..and I guess that's what I love about the Hunt, too. I love to see what is the same and what is different, all over the world. I never did see a flagpole; but I had no problem with the public restroom one. My kids are always teasing me that I like to know where they are everywhere I go

debs14 said...

I'm sitting here with a relieved/happy face after reading that there'll be another hunt in 2016! It's so much fun. I love the different interpretations of the categories around the world and the fact that what's easy in one country is nigh on impossible in another!
Your neighbours certainly go to town with their decorations for Halloween. No one does anything remotely as imaginative as that around here - you're lucky if you find a hollowed out pumpkin! I have already eaten a batch of sweets I'd put aside for any trick or treaters - I need to hide the next lot away somewhere.

BJ said...

Great thoughts on this years scavenger hunt, looking forward to next year's already! BJ

Ladkyis said...

Mr M and I just love the Scavenger Hunt. He remembers the things on the list and points them out to me and I snap 'em!
I can relax now and enjoy the run up to Christmas safe in the knowledge that the Hunt will return.

Rinda we are both sending you huge hugs to say thank you for hosting this hunt. We love it

Becky said...

So glad to hear you will be hosting it again next year. Thanks for all work you do with this :)

alexa said...

Nice to read your reflections on it, Rinda - and I was one of the ones who struggled with the flag pole and had to select a substitute. But I was very pleased to collect them all - a great sense of achievement over a difficult summer, so thank-you for all your hard work in making it happen.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you'll be hosting it again next year. This year just turned out to be an off year for me although funnily enough I did get the 3 flags on a flagpole. I'm hoping next year will be much better and maybe that cruise around the British Isles will help with a few of what you choose. Thanks so much for all your hard work doing this.

Anonymous said...

Ooops - meant to say I really enjoyed this bunch of pictures, especially that top one.

Missus Wookie said...

Fun wander around your neighbourhood, had a discussion about whether Americans 'really' decorated for Halloween with a friend this week.

Glad you are already thinking about hosting next year - I do enjoy the hunt and seeing everyone's contributions too.

Jimjams said...

It's always fascinating to see how people interpret the prompts and get a view from other countries. Thank you Rinda